ELMONT, NEW YORK (January 10, 2024) – Marie-Philip Poulin scored goals number one, two, and three on the season, as Montréal secured their first regulation win by a score of 5-2 over New York.
Poulin scored her first goal of the year at 8:14 in the first period to make it 1-1 off a feed from Erin Ambrose on a 2-on-1 rush. The Montréal captain capped off her stellar game with two third period goals, including the insurance marker at 6:05 off a back-and-forth play with Maureen Murphy, in addition to an empty net goal at 18:53.
Forward Jesse Eldridge scored her first goal of the season to open the scoring 6:01 into the first, which put New York up 1-0 in their debut at UBS Arena.
Montréal forward Catherine Dubois—who signed a 10-day contract earlier in the day— became the first reserve player in PWHL history to suit up for a game, and made the most of her opportunity. Dubois scored a powerplay goal at 9:48 in the second period to put her team up 2-1. The goal is the first-ever powerplay goal for the team.
Defender Ella Shelton scored a powerplay goal assisted by Abby Roque and Jesse Eldridge, just 26 seconds into the third period, her second goal of the season and New York’s first powerplay goal. Shelton also added an assist on Eldridge’s goal.
From there it was all Montreal, as the team scored three unanswered goals in the third period, beginning with the game-winner scored by Kennedy Marchment at 4:58, her first of the season.
Poulin’s hat trick is the first in Montréal team history and second in the PWHL this season.
Montréal goaltender Elaine Chuli made her first start of the season and stopped 30 shots in the win. New York’s Corinne Schroeder made 30 saves in her first game since her shutout in the season opener on January 1.
- Total attendance was 2,201.
- Montréal outshot New York 35-32, including 13-10 in the first and 13-7 in the third.
- New York outshot Montreal 15-9 in the second period.
- Jessie Eldridge led all players with 6 shots on goal.
- With her 3rd period powerplay goal, New York defender Ella Shelton has the following firsts: first PWHL shot on net, first PWHL goal, first New York goal and first New York powerplay goal.
- Three Montreal forwards recorded five shots on net — Marie-Philip Poulin, Maureen Murphy and Sarah Bujold.
- Catherine Dubois signed a 10-day contract before the game to help fill the void of forwards Laura Stacey and Ann-Sophie Bettez who were scratched for precautionary reasons.
- The contest was the first game in which both teams scored on the powerplay.
- This was the fifth victory for the visiting team in seven games to open the season.
- Hockey Hall of Famer and New York Islanders legend Bryan Trottier performed the ceremonial face-off.
- Three Stars: 1) Marie-Philip Poulin 2) Elaine Chuli 3) Ella Shelton